Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Recipe {Whole Wheat No-Knead Artisan Bread}

Pin It
I pinned this recipe for Whole Grain Artisan Bread the other day:



Then, I changed up the recipe a little bit to make this:



Whole Wheat No-Knead Artisan Bread {my way}

Note: *I used King Arthur Brand Flour for this Recipe*When measuring flour, spoon into measuring cup and level with flat edge of knife or spatula.


Ingredients:

-5 1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour
-2 c unbleached bread flour
-2 packets of active dry yeast (granules, not cakes)
-1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
-4 c lukewarm water (mine was 98 degrees, anything around 100 degrees F is good... test it on your wrist like you would a baby bottle, that's the temp. we're shooting for. *wink*)
-1-2 Tbsp dry oatmeal or seed mixture to sprinkle on the top (optional)

Directions:

Making the dough:
  Whisk dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, I used my 5.5 qt kitchen aid bowl, you can use any other large bowl... you can even mix the dough in a plastic lidded container for storing in the fridge.
  Add water to the mixture and stir with a wooden spoon, or in my case the paddle attachment on my stand mixer.  Stir until all ingredients are incorporated and there are no dry patches.  I went for 45-60 seconds.  The dough is going to be "shaggy, wet, and loose" per the recipe in the first photo... I say it's "goopy".
  Loosely cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and let it rise on the counter for 2 hours.
  After rising, refrigerate the dough in a lidded container or wrapped in plastic wrap.  The recipe I used says it'll be good for about 14 days... yay!

Baking:
  Once dough is fully refrigerated (mine was in the fridge for about three hours before I decided to make my bread... I couldn't wait until morning) sprinkle the top of the dough with flour, pull up and pinch off a piece about the size of a grapefruit.**
  **This is where things got tricky for me.  My dough was super wet and loose, so I added about 1/3 c of all-purpose flour to my cutting board and rolled my dough into it, lightly, without kneading, until I could accomplish the next step.
  With floured hands, gently stretch the top of the dough around, tucking the ends under the dough ball, to create a smooth surface.  I also shaped mine into an oval.  Set dough onto parchment paper, which has been dusted with flour, to rest for about 90 minutes.
  Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F, about 30 minutes prior to baking.  Place a baking stone or cookie sheet on the middle rack and a broiler pan on the bottom rack.  ***DO NOT use glass or pyrex.  I used a 9 x 13inch metal cake pan because my lame-o oven didn't come with a broiler pan***
  Just before you put your dough in the oven, lightly brush the top with water and sprinkle on your oatmeal or seeds; using a sharp knife make a few 1/2 deep cuts in the top of the dough to allow it to expand.
  Slide dough, with parchment paper, onto your stone/pan and pour 1- 1 1/2 c of hot water into the pan below the bread, quickly close the oven door to trap the steam.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
  Allow bread to cool completely before slicing.  My crust came out nice and crisp while the inside was soft and fluffy-ish.  Delish!

Let me know if you try this out!



XxOo~ Melissa

1 comment:

Please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts, this chick LOVES hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...